Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Thing 13 Online Productivity Tools

I have a customized home page through MSN on my home computer. I love gettng a home page with my weather up front. My husband added his company's stock to keep track of. I looked at the iGoogle, PageFlakes and My Yahoo samples.

I couldn't see the countdown widget, but it's nice to know what they are called because I see them on lots of web pages.

I used an online calendar (MS Outlook) in my former office position. It was a huge changed from the paper to computer, but really worked out well. We simply used it to make appointments, meetings, block off lunches, color code non-school days, etc.

I checked out some of the suggested sites, some had a few tour slides, most wanted you to sign in. I went to my MSN e-mail and looked at my calendar there. Looks like reminders and notes are easy to set up. But I wanted to post a birthday in one of the dates and couldn't figure it out. I'll try again from home.

Not sure I have an interest in the online lists or Backpack features right now. They look interesting and once you get in the habit of setting things up, they'll probably be great. I'd like to try one on a project with one partner to test it out.

I looked at Stikkit but couldn't get any of the screencasts to go. I know that MS Word has a PDF converter, but it doesn't always work smoothly. At my last school, the tech had a great process set up to "print" our document as a PDF and them post it up to the web page.

No comments: